Oct 28, 2011

Model Behavior

I consider myself the anti "stage mom".  I have never had any intention to push my kids to doing anything in the spot light.

My kids are in karate.  Angelique has tried  a multitude of other things, and both have a list a mile long of other things they want to try.  Both have things on their list that I find worrisome.  For Christian, it's football.  Mainly because Clint played and the likelihood of injury (and ones that can follow you though life) are not uncommon.  Clint can't even tell you how many times he dislocated his jaw playing.

The one that I am struggling with the most, however, is Angelique's desire to model.  It is not an uncommon occurrence for us to be stopped and a stranger to tell me how beautiful she is.  We were even stopped in the mall once to see if she wanted to model.  She was only 4 at the time and had clothing issues and really didn't want to.  See me doing a sigh of relief at that.

Lately we have had several people tell us that we should get her into modeling.  That she would be great at it, etc.  This list includes the professional photographer that we use.  Only now, she wants to.

This has me breaking out in cold sweats.

I don't want to be the parent that tells their kids that any thing they desire is out of their reach, to dangerous, or anything like that.  I even had Christian on a dirt bike at 4.  Anything is possible if they work hard and apply themselves.

But modeling?  Scares me!  Not just the disappointments I know that will come, or some jerks telling her she is not (blank) enough, but that it is an industry that is know to take advantage of people desperate to get into it.

The little research that my husband has done has found that the companies around us that specialize in modeling are money pits that require you to go to their classes, use their photographer for head shots, use their makeup, us their makeup artist, etc.  In other words, they require you to pay for all these things while building you up to believe they can get you a job they don't ever deliver on.

Another concern is the attitude that some (a lot) in the industry have.  The Beautiful People.  I am not saying that everyone in the modeling industry is stuck up and holier than though for having the good graces to be born with an appealing face and body, but it is also not uncommon.  I really don't want any of that rubbing off on my daughter.  It is already difficult enough trying to teach children to be humble and non judgement of others when they grow up in an area where nearly everyone is privileged.

Does anyone have any advice?  Am I worrying over nothing?  Should I just ignore this pursuit all together or bite the bullet and let my little girl follow this dream?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I think just asking the questions that you are asking, shows that you are a loving, caring parent who only has the best of intentions when it comes to her kids. Those "toddlers & tiaras" moms make me so sad.

I think as long as you have open and honest discussions with Angelique, she will be fine. Kids are so innocent and naive to a harsh industry such as modeling or acting, but as long as you communicate your fears and concerns and she does the same, you should be fine.

She is stunning though! Beautiful child:)